Dancing Mussels

On July 30, 2012, Ivan, Lil Dave and I got a taxi to the bus station.  We got a mini bus to the border of Albania at 11 am.  There’s no air conditioning on the bus.  There’s two windows that can be opened and people closed them.  I felt like I was going to puke since it was so stuffy and hot in the bus.  Ivan reached over and opened it again after the guy shut it. The guy looked at Ivan like he was crazy, but made no attempt to close the window again.

Ivan and I watched a few episodes of Beaver Falls on the laptop..always handy to have a laptop with plenty of stuff to watch, to pass the time!!!!

We arrived at 1:30 pm and a man approached us for a taxi to Budva for 50 Euros.  Ivan said yes and we put our backpacks in the trunk and he drove off.  Our driver was named Jose. 

We started approaching the border and he totally cut the line which was really long.  Ivan liked him already since Ivan would have done the same thing.  We think our driver ended up bribing a border agent (Ivan’s guess was 5 Euro) so that we skipped the long line.  Thank goodness he did that otherwise we would have been in line for an hour and a half….at least

Ivan looked up the address of the hostel and it was IV Proleterska 37.  He thought I Proletrska would be the same. Ivan was looking for the hostel.  I was standing there watching our backpacks.  It was really hot out and I was sweating.  So, we got dropped off in the wrong area.  There was a man and a woman walking – the man hugged Ivan, but he didn’t speak any English.  Ivan kept searching for the hostel.  The man who hugged Ivan was talking to me in Montenegran.  I had no clue what he was saying.  He made the international sign for sleeping.  I wasn’t sure if he was offering to show me a hotel or to come to his house.  I just said no and shook my head.  He shook my hand and was on his way.  This just shows that there’s actually nice people in the world.

Ivan found out that the I Proletrska is not the same as IV which is in a different area.  I read that some of the streets have no names here in Budva.  I guess this is where U2 go their inspiration from.  So, we hopped into a taxi and were taken to Hippo Hostel.

A guy showed us to our private room which was called the Sun Room around 5 pm.  Ivan found out that the hostel has a dog, cat, a hippo and two turtles.  Lil Dave doesn’t like cats, so he thought he should just stay in the room hidden in a bag.  He really needs to get over this silly fear – he thinks cats are going to eat him.

Later on, we walked to the beach.  Lunch was at a restaurant right next to the beach. 


We had a good fish soup and a massive plate of fried fish with potatoes and spinach.  There was so much fish that we didn’t end up finishing it all.  Ivan thought we should have a light dinner later on and I thought that was a good idea.

We headed to find a seat on the beach.  The water was too cold to get in – Ivan thought it was because it was so late.  I was really tired since I woke up early at 8:30 am this morning.  Ivan walked around while I took a nap on the beach – which is not sand but stones.

It was time to head back to the hostel.

That night, we walked to a street that was filled with so many people and souvenir stalls.  I also saw a place with billiards and arcade games.

Ivan, Lil Dave and I had dinner at Jadran Kod Krsta restaurant which is known for it’s mussels.  Lil Dave got a banana penne.  Ivan and I shared a fish salad and mixed mussels with a delicious red sauce. 


We also had a lovely white local wine which the waiter recommended – he said it went well with the mussels and it did.

The main street, the Promenade, with many bars was close by, so we walked there.  One bar’s music sounded good and we got a drink in there.  Ivan and I danced a bit.  It seemed like the bar was filled with lots of Russians and the Russian women liked to dance.  I can’t remember the name of this bar, think it was 3 down from Trocadero.  We had a Mojito and then went in search of a new bar.

It was great that we didn’t have to enter the bar completely to what kind of music was playing.  We went to Trocadero and it was Serbian music (I think!) and everybody was singing to it.  It didn’t sound very exciting…unless you were Serbian maybe..or Russian….or another Eastern Europe/Balkan country where this kind of music is popular (to us it all sounds like circus music!!)

We kept checking out the music at the bars, but none of it was any good.  Ivan thought we should go to Top Hill to check it out.

In one taxi, the meter was jumping up like crazy.  I told Ivan to check it since we’ve been duped before in a taxi in Belgrade.  It was going way too fast.  We made the driver stop, got out and I yelled something bad at him.    

Took an honest taxi up to Top Hill.  We didn’t go in though, as it was 20 Euros each to get in since a Montenegran band was playing.  Darn it!!  Oh, well.. we’ll be back in 2 days to see DJ Roger Sanchez here.

Got a taxi down to the Promenade.  I guess the taxi couldn’t go the way we came because of Police or maybe it was only one way on that road. It took a lot longer to get back. We really went for the scenic tour. We walked back along the bars, but they were already closed.  I guess they do actually close at 1 am like somebody said at the hostel.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Subscribe without commenting