Lake Titicaca

Ivan, Lil Dave and I were up at 6:45 am on November 29, 2012.  We packed our small backpack up.

Breakfast was at 7 pm. 

Some of the Oasis group left at 8 am via rickshaws. 


Our guide Oswaldo said the rickshaw drivers would be racing to the port.  But, our driver didn’t really seem into the spirit of racing.

Ivan and I bought rice, oil, sugar and fruits for the family we’d be staying with on one of the islands on Lake Titicaca.  We’re going on a trip to Lake Titicaca for 1 night and 1 day.

The group boarded the Calipso boat headed towards a floating island.  The boat was going 1 knot an hour which is super slow.  The boats have speed limits to protect the vegetation of Lake Titicaca.

We reached Uros an hour later.  Oswaldo and the main chief of the island talked about the floating island of Uros. 


There’s soil above the water, then layers of reeds are placed which makes the island.  The houses are made of the small reed and usually have to be replaced every three months.

We also saw the women in their traditional dress knitting.

Everybody rode on a boat across to another island. 


A few people from our group took turns rowing the boat even though they didn’t have to.  Most of the time we were going in circles.

The group got back on the Calipso.  The driver got us to Amantani Island in 2 hours.  I wish the boat went faster. 

At the port, we met our mamas or papas for the night.  Our mama was a woman named Faustina.

We walked with our mama to her house.  Ivan and I put our bags upstairs where our room was located. 

It was time for lunch.  Faustina served us up vegetable soup for a starter.  We met Javier who was Faustina’s husband.  He spoke some English.  Faustina only spoke Spanish.  We were given a paper with words and phrases in English, Spanish, Quechua and Aymara.  The languages are so different.  What’s your name? is Cual es tu nombre? in Spanish, Imata sutiki? in Quechua and Kunasa sutima? in Aymara. 

Ivan and I also enjoyed fried cheese, potatoes and corn.

We had some free time, so Ivan and I watched two episodes of Worst Week on the phone.



At 4 pm, we walked with Faustina to the football pitch.  The local mamas knitted on the ground.  Ivan joined a few of the boys, along with Anna and Kerry, to play futball.  The gringos played against the local kids and Oswaldo.  Bob tried to play but it was too much for him with the high altitude. 


Some people went hiking.  I didn’t fancy any hiking, so I stayed to support Ivan.  The boys did great winning all three games against the locals. 

Oswaldo walked us to the square.  Ivan and I shared a hot chocolate with rum which really warmed us up.  Our mamas picked us up around 6 pm.

The house we stayed in had electricity unlike what Mel told us. 

Dinner was served.  Ivan and I started off with the same vegetable soup.  During dinner, we gave Faustina the gift of food.  The main course was rice with potatoes, tomatoes and onions.  The food was good again.  We met Faustina’s six year old son.


At 8 pm, Faustina gave Ivan a poncho to wear.  Faustina dressed me in a shirt, skirt, belt and a shawl which was all traditional dress.  The belt was super tight and felt like a corset around my tummy.  These skirts make everybody look big and that they have a big butt.

We walked to somebody’s house nearby.  It was time for the Inca Discotech.  The band arrived a few minutes later.  There was a bar set up with soda and beer.  Ivan and I brought along a small bottle of rum, but nobody from our group was drinking.


Our mamas would pull us up to the dance floor.  Most of the dancing was quite fast.  We were going under people’s linked arms and getting whipped around.  It was fun. 

A lot of people started leaving before 9:30 pm.  Faustina said we should go home.  We walked back.  Ivan and I watched something on the phone before going to sleep.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Subscribe without commenting